Skip to main content

Pushing the Limit: DOOL

Days' baby switch storyline should have ended weeks ago, but since it was discovered that Sydney was indeed Sami's child there have been countless contrived efforts to keep the suspense going, beginning with Nicole kidnapping Sydney. However, I think the show has gone a little too far with E.J.'s sinister plot to make Sami believe that her baby is dead. There are far too many real life cases involving the discovery of a missing child's bloody clothes for the show to use that scenario in a twisted storyline such as this. This is particularly unsettling considering that at some point they will undoubtedly try to redeem E.J. again in an attempt to reunite him with Sami. It is as if Days has forgotten that many, if not most of their viewers are women, many of whom likely have children.


As I have said in previous posts there are right ways and wrong ways of involving and depicting children in these types of storylines. Soaps can be shocking and sensitive to their viewers at the same time. It is a fine line, but it is not invisible. Last year Y&R crossed that line when Adam convinced Ashley that she had not miscarried, eventually making her believe that she had given birth. This storyline essentially made a mockery out of miscarriages and showed an overall lack of respect for female viewers. And I fear that Days is on the verge of crossing this same sort of line with the way that E.J. is attempting to fake Sydney's death. Faking her death was disturbing enough, but using bloody clothes as evidence of that death was beyond inappropriate.

Comments

  1. Hi, Paula!

    Based upon your always excellent commentary, I decided this is a great place to post the comment that I am really getting tired of the soap right now.

    They're indeed pushing the limit and it's not pretty.

    GH is way too focused on Sonny (that was OK when there were other characters with good storylines, as well) and the Liz/Nicholas/Lucky story dragged out way too long. Hopefully Helena will add some spark and get the focus off the "mob." I'm not feeling a need to tune into GH on Soapnet if I missed it during the day.

    DOOL. When will the baby switch story end? Baby supposedly dies, baby found, baby taken again, then baby dies, then wait ... baby is really alive! Not making fun, but this story has worn way thin. No wonder Alison Sweeney was on Law and Order (or whatever it was last night). I AM liking the Carly/Melanie/Daniel storyline, however, so that's keeping me comong back. Louise Sorel is quite a character.

    Y&R. This is another baby switch story that has to end soon, too. But the "dream sequence" they did yesterday featuring Ashley, Sharon and Adam was awesome. I didn't see the start of it so it's one I'll have to watch the rerun this weekend on SoapNet. The episode was very well done.

    OLTL. This show also is unraveling. As I've said before the Mitch character is way too dark, and who needs another Jessica alter? Now she is stuck in her teens. She needed to be happy with Brody for awhile and then take on another personality. I'm also not liking the Langston cheating on Marco storyline. They added stability to the show.

    So this is my take on the soaps today. I feel like I'm outgrowing them, which is unfortunate, but because I really like soaps as an entertainment genre.

    Paula Q

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways General Hospital Could Improve

I doubt if I'm alone in saying that there is a lot wrong with General Hospital these days. While it continues to be one of my favorite soaps there are many changes I would make immediately if I had the power. Below is a list of the top ten suggestions I have for the way the show could improve. 1. The Claire/Sonny storyline needs to be dropped. It isn't working. Their conversations are boring and the context of their relationship is, well...icky. 2. Amp up Lisa's craziness. Despite my earlier distaste for a Robin/Patrick/Lisa triangle, the obsessed ex-girlfriend angle is working. It's interesting and very soapy. 3. Ronnie needs to be established as either a cop with a chip on his shoulder or someone who works for Franco. So far I haven't been able to tell whether Ronnie falls more on the side of good or bad because this character hasn't been clearly defined. 4. Brenda's life away from Port Charles and the people that surround it need to become an int...

Darkness and Light: GH

Like many General Hospital fans, I watch the show everyday in a blissful state of denial, never acknowledging the fact that Sonny and Jason are criminals. I find it easy to denounce Mac when he is urging Maxie to stay away from Spinelli, and I cheer for Diane whenever she keeps someone from the Corinthos organization from going to prison. However, as I watched the events of the week unfold, knowing that they were inevitably going to lead to Dante's shooting, my rose-colored glasses came off and I quickly snapped back to reality. I found myself repulsed watching Jason standing in the church during Josslyn's christening, knowing that he had just signed Dante's death certificate without giving it a second thought. I was even repulsed by Spinelli, whose detective work set everything into motion. Moreover, I was sickened by his cavalier attitude regarding Dante's imminent demise, and the fact that he never showed an ounce of remorse or regret until Maxie told him that Lulu h...

Crazy Loves Company: GH

If ever there was a storyline or a character over utilized it would be the saga of Lisa Niles. I am both mentally and physically exhausted by the constant back and forth between Lisa & Robin, Lisa & Patrick, Robin & Patrick, and Robin & everyone else. Now new doctor Terrell has been thrown into the mix as another man powerless against Lisa's charms. It is difficult enough at this point to watch Lisa create a path of destruction all by herself, but now that she has help I'm not sure I have the energy to watch any more of her schemes. Lisa had the potential to be an intriguing soap villain; and for a while it seemed like she may have had the potential to be a redeemable villain (see Miss Diagnosis ). However her crazy behavior as well as the motivation behind this behavior is too much to grasp, particularly for someone who supposedly passed her psych evaluation at Shady Brook. Moreover it doesn't make sense that she could talk someone like Terrell into helping...