Skip to main content

The Mobster's Son and the Stripper: GH

Once upon a time there was a young man of barely eighteen, who was imprisoned after slaying his stepmother to protect his mother and baby sister. This young man was called Michael and his newfound captivity held more danger than all the ports in Port Charles.

 



Shortly after his imprisonment began, Michael became the victim of a sinister plot in which he was forced to submit to the sexual advances of a fellow inmate. Michael's spirit was broken and it seemed like he might never recover from the harsh realities of prison even after he was freed.



Then one day fair maiden Samantha offered Michael a helping hand. It seemed she had come across a lovely lady called Candy who routinely abandoned her clothes in the presence of men for monetary compensation.



As luck would have it this lady was willing to offer herself to Michael as a way of helping him overcome his fears of intimacy; but alas young Michael was too inexperienced, too broken to appreciate Candy's kind gesture.



Then out of the blue one day young Michael and the lady who now calls herself Abby found they had much in common and soon began wasting away the hours talking about their broken lives as the mobster's son and the stripper.




Not exactly Cinderella is it? Although General Hospital seems determined to create a fairytale out of the Michael and Abby storyline. I realize soap characters meet in a variety of mostly unsavory ways and that the couple that would be called "Mabby" are slowly gathering a following, but I cannot get past their initial meet-cute (see Easy Love). If someone, say Jason, had hired an older man to sleep with Kristina, Jason would be considered a creep and said man would be called a pervert, right before Sonny planted a bomb in his car.


I think it makes sense that Michael would find it easier to confide in Abby instead of a therapist because he has not exactly had a conventional upbringing; but I cannot get over the fact that Abby seemed to jump at the chance to sleep with a damaged eighteen year old stranger. If they had met in almost any other way I would probably like this pairing. If Sam had simply presented Abby to Michael as someone he could talk to, not sleep with, there might be a really poignant story here in which two people had finally found someone they could relate to. That is a story that could capture my interest and that is a couple I could grow to love. If that is to happen at this point, however, General Hospital is going to have to work overtime to make me forget this couple's twisted beginning. Of course if the rest of the show continues to revolve around Brenda it may not matter to me so much.

Comments

  1. Paula,

    I can just see a flashback....Brenda and Abby...and a pole....just kidding. I just find it a little sad that, despite the fact that Abby's been 'around the block' a few times, she doesn't realize that Michael's developing a crush on her. Maybe it's just because if you think of it, who else is paying attention to him? Not Carly, who is so obsessed with keeping Jax away from Brenda and taking Dante down that she doesn't even notice that Michael is struggling. Not Jason, who's too busy keeping Brenda from picking up and Uzi and shooting up the set. Sam is too busy trying to keep Brenda away from Jason and forget about Sonny. I just don't see the Michael-Abby thing coming to a happy ending.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peggy,

    I don't see a happy ending for them either, then again when is the last time this show has had a happy ending?

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula,

    I dunno - Ned and Lois? Edward and Lila (she always forgave him when he strayed).


    Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways General Hospital Could Improve

I doubt if I'm alone in saying that there is a lot wrong with General Hospital these days. While it continues to be one of my favorite soaps there are many changes I would make immediately if I had the power. Below is a list of the top ten suggestions I have for the way the show could improve. 1. The Claire/Sonny storyline needs to be dropped. It isn't working. Their conversations are boring and the context of their relationship is, well...icky. 2. Amp up Lisa's craziness. Despite my earlier distaste for a Robin/Patrick/Lisa triangle, the obsessed ex-girlfriend angle is working. It's interesting and very soapy. 3. Ronnie needs to be established as either a cop with a chip on his shoulder or someone who works for Franco. So far I haven't been able to tell whether Ronnie falls more on the side of good or bad because this character hasn't been clearly defined. 4. Brenda's life away from Port Charles and the people that surround it need to become an int...

Crazy Loves Company: GH

If ever there was a storyline or a character over utilized it would be the saga of Lisa Niles. I am both mentally and physically exhausted by the constant back and forth between Lisa & Robin, Lisa & Patrick, Robin & Patrick, and Robin & everyone else. Now new doctor Terrell has been thrown into the mix as another man powerless against Lisa's charms. It is difficult enough at this point to watch Lisa create a path of destruction all by herself, but now that she has help I'm not sure I have the energy to watch any more of her schemes. Lisa had the potential to be an intriguing soap villain; and for a while it seemed like she may have had the potential to be a redeemable villain (see Miss Diagnosis ). However her crazy behavior as well as the motivation behind this behavior is too much to grasp, particularly for someone who supposedly passed her psych evaluation at Shady Brook. Moreover it doesn't make sense that she could talk someone like Terrell into helping...

Darkness and Light: GH

Like many General Hospital fans, I watch the show everyday in a blissful state of denial, never acknowledging the fact that Sonny and Jason are criminals. I find it easy to denounce Mac when he is urging Maxie to stay away from Spinelli, and I cheer for Diane whenever she keeps someone from the Corinthos organization from going to prison. However, as I watched the events of the week unfold, knowing that they were inevitably going to lead to Dante's shooting, my rose-colored glasses came off and I quickly snapped back to reality. I found myself repulsed watching Jason standing in the church during Josslyn's christening, knowing that he had just signed Dante's death certificate without giving it a second thought. I was even repulsed by Spinelli, whose detective work set everything into motion. Moreover, I was sickened by his cavalier attitude regarding Dante's imminent demise, and the fact that he never showed an ounce of remorse or regret until Maxie told him that Lulu h...