Skip to main content

SOAPnet No More

Soap fans received some shocking news this week when it was announced that SOAPnet, the only 24-hour soap channel, would be going off the air in 2012 to make room for a new Disney channel. And although fans are being reassured that this will not affect the soap genre because of the ability to watch episodes online, this seems like one more step toward making soaps obsolete.

I must say I think SOAPnet could have and should have tried much harder to promote the genre that brought them into existence, but I don't see how soaps can avoid a fallout once this channel goes off the air. Sure viewers survived years without the convenience of SOAPnet to allow them to catch up on missed episodes, but a lot has changed in the ten years since its launch. Soap ratings are lower than ever, and even with the Internet, DVR, and SOAPnet, it is a constant struggle to maintain viewer interest. In fact, I'm sure SOAPnet is the only way certain viewers can watch their missed episodes. It may seem difficult to believe in this age of technology but there are still people who don't have Internet access or DVR. And still others who might be unable to use this technology if they did have it. For those that have Internet access, how many households can really afford to have the computer tied up with soaps for several hours a night? And how many would even bother? Once it becomes too much of a hassle to stay caught up on soaps, most people will simply lose interest. Soap fans are loyal, but so far that loyalty hasn't done much to improve ratings or prevent cancellations, and I don't see how watching soaps online will either.



Related post: A Missed Opportunity: Soapnet's Cancellation of Port Charles

Comments

  1. Hi Paula!

    Unfortunately, I think this is a portent of things to come and signals the dying genre of soaps, although I'm hoping that I'm wrong. I just can't imagine NOT watching my soaps!

    SOAPnet was such a great thing for soap fans and, for me particularly when my DVR misfires and fails to tape my soaps. I just watch them on SOAPnet.

    I can tell you that I wouldn't watch them online.

    SOAPnet really gave a great boost to soap fans and the demise of this really makes me upset!

    btw - I like your new look....I also liked your old look.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele!

    Thanks, and thanks for commenting. Yeah, I still have some tweaking to do on the new template, but the bulk of it is done. Hard to find time to write posts and work on graphics. I liked the old look too, but I was running out of room to put things and there were some issues with font color that I never could get exactly right because of the template code. Anyway, I'm afraid of what the end of Soapnet means for soaps. I know I would have a hard time staying caught up online too. I watch online if I miss being able to record the soaps during the day or later on Soapnet, but I hate doing that. If that became my only option it would be really easy to get behind and eventually lose interest. I hate having to sit through the ads that come on every few minutes and the way you can never really fast forward or rewind anything with ease. It is just not a good way to view the soaps in my opinion.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Could Guiding Light Alum Stephanie Gatschet Be Looking to Return to Daytime?

I stumbled upon something interesting while scrolling through Instagram last night. It was a comment posted in response to a General Hospital video. The video was reposted by actress Laura Wright (Carly, GH; ex-Cassie,GL). The response came from actress Stephanie Gatschet.

You may recall that in addition to playing Madison North on All My Children, Gatschet played Cassie's daughter, Tammy, on Guiding Light.

Gatschet's comment to Wright was "I miss creating melodrama...keep an eye out for a good role for little ol' me. I wanna play!"  (Check out the screenshot below)



So could Gatschet be eyeing a return to daytime? How cool would it be to see her starring opposite Laura Wright again?

Gatschet most recently starred in the web series Misguided.

Carolyn Hennesy Appears in New Fitz and the Tantrums Music Video!

GH fave Carolyn Hennesy (Diane) has just added music video star to her resume! The actress appears in the video for the song "Fool" by pop group Fitz and the Tantrums. 
To learn more about Fitz and the Tantrums, visit their website at http://www.fitzandthetantrums.com
See the video for "Fool" starring Carolyn Hennesy below:





GL Alum Launches Indiegogo Campaign for Music Video!

UPDATE: Morgan Englund's Indiegogo campaign is now 76% funded. To meet his goal, $2,418 will need to be donated by June 2nd. 

To hear Morgan talk about his song Homeward Bound, be sure to check out my interview with him from last week at https://youtu.be/5Dyq4Tc7H-Y

Guiding Light alum Morgan Englund (Dylan Lewis) has launched an Indiegogo campaign to help fund a music video for a song he wrote called "Homeward Bound (A Firefighter's Song)", a fitting title and song for the actor who has worked as both a firefighter and paramedic. 

Englund is hoping to raise $10,000 for the creation of the video, which will be directed by Andrea Shreeman. So far $3,199 has been donated to the campaign with a month left to go. Numerous perks are up for grabs for those wishing to contribute to the video's funding. $5 will get you a thank you shout out on social media from Englund, while the biggest perk, at $1500, will earn you an executive producer credit and a VIP visit to the set. 


F…