Skip to main content

Tough Decisions: GH

It has been fascinating to watch Jason question his lifestyle after seeing the way Michael has glamorized it since Claudia's death. Perhaps for the first time ever Jason has been forced to confront what he does for a living and is finding out what a profound affect his choices have had on those around him. It is ironic, although not surprising, that this sudden realization happened because of one of Carly's kids instead of his own. And while it would have been nice to see Jason make the decision to steer clear of mob violence for the sake of his son, I think it took Michael essentially holding up a mirror for him to see the full impact of this violence. Obviously if it weren't for Michael's personality shift Jason would not be questioning his duties as Sonny's enforcer at all. His decision to assume less violent duties within the organization actually has more to do with setting the right example for Michael, than regretting his own life choices. Regardless of whether Jason has gained insight into his own life through Michael actions, he seems to be the only adult willing to make any sort of sacrifice to save Michael. And while one would not immediately classify Jason's career move as a sacrifice, he is, in fact, risking his life because this could potentially be seen as a sign of weakness by rival organizations.

I must say that I found Carly's reaction to Jason's decision quite puzzling. She acted as though this somehow meant that Jason wouldn't be able to do as much for her kids once his duties changed. His violent lifestyle had nothing to do with how he helped her after Michael was born. He helped her in spite of that, not because of it. And while she certainly made a valid point when she stated that Michael would always be surrounded by violence whether Jason was a part of it or not, it should be noted that at least Jason is trying to help Michael. The same cannot be said for anyone else in his life. Out of everyone that is supposedly concerned about Michael's behavior, Jason is the only person willing to take any kind of action, whether it turns out to be effective or not. Sonny, in all of his stubborn naiveté, believes that he can will Michael to stay out of the mob, even while teaching him the inner workings of the organization. And Carly's life has been so consumed by Sonny and Jason for so long that she cannot see that her kids are growing up in an atypical environment that undoubtedly shapes their perspective on violence.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the update as I did not watch GH yesterday. Obviously, this Jason assuming "less violent duties" will change once Franco arrives on the scene. It may not be immediate, but I expect a big build for the next sweeps period. I really enjoy your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula! [Great name by the way ;)]

    Well the good news is you didn't miss much by not watching GH yesterday as you could probably tell from my post. :) I agree, Jason will totally get forced back into the violence once Franco arrives. I can't wait to see how that storyline plays out because from what I have heard James Franco is supposed to be in about 15-20 episodes. It should be interesting.

    Thanks so much for posting and for the compliment. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying my posts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways General Hospital Could Improve

I doubt if I'm alone in saying that there is a lot wrong with General Hospital these days. While it continues to be one of my favorite soaps there are many changes I would make immediately if I had the power. Below is a list of the top ten suggestions I have for the way the show could improve. 1. The Claire/Sonny storyline needs to be dropped. It isn't working. Their conversations are boring and the context of their relationship is, well...icky. 2. Amp up Lisa's craziness. Despite my earlier distaste for a Robin/Patrick/Lisa triangle, the obsessed ex-girlfriend angle is working. It's interesting and very soapy. 3. Ronnie needs to be established as either a cop with a chip on his shoulder or someone who works for Franco. So far I haven't been able to tell whether Ronnie falls more on the side of good or bad because this character hasn't been clearly defined. 4. Brenda's life away from Port Charles and the people that surround it need to become an int...

Darkness and Light: GH

Like many General Hospital fans, I watch the show everyday in a blissful state of denial, never acknowledging the fact that Sonny and Jason are criminals. I find it easy to denounce Mac when he is urging Maxie to stay away from Spinelli, and I cheer for Diane whenever she keeps someone from the Corinthos organization from going to prison. However, as I watched the events of the week unfold, knowing that they were inevitably going to lead to Dante's shooting, my rose-colored glasses came off and I quickly snapped back to reality. I found myself repulsed watching Jason standing in the church during Josslyn's christening, knowing that he had just signed Dante's death certificate without giving it a second thought. I was even repulsed by Spinelli, whose detective work set everything into motion. Moreover, I was sickened by his cavalier attitude regarding Dante's imminent demise, and the fact that he never showed an ounce of remorse or regret until Maxie told him that Lulu h...

Crazy Loves Company: GH

If ever there was a storyline or a character over utilized it would be the saga of Lisa Niles. I am both mentally and physically exhausted by the constant back and forth between Lisa & Robin, Lisa & Patrick, Robin & Patrick, and Robin & everyone else. Now new doctor Terrell has been thrown into the mix as another man powerless against Lisa's charms. It is difficult enough at this point to watch Lisa create a path of destruction all by herself, but now that she has help I'm not sure I have the energy to watch any more of her schemes. Lisa had the potential to be an intriguing soap villain; and for a while it seemed like she may have had the potential to be a redeemable villain (see Miss Diagnosis ). However her crazy behavior as well as the motivation behind this behavior is too much to grasp, particularly for someone who supposedly passed her psych evaluation at Shady Brook. Moreover it doesn't make sense that she could talk someone like Terrell into helping...