Skip to main content

Sister Switch: DOOL

It has been almost two weeks since Tamara Braun took over the role of Taylor Walker, replacing Natalia Livingston who had inhabited the role since late January. I never really understood the need for this sudden casting change, but being a fan of both actresses I kept an open mind. Sometimes these types of changes take a while to get used to, particularly when they are as ill-timed as this one, or as ill-timed as the switch from new Lucky to original Lucky on GH, or from Drew Garrett to Chad Duell in the role of Michael, but I digress.






DOOL used the standard excuse of taking the character in a different direction to explain the Taylor casting change. To be perfectly honest I have never really understood this explanation. Soaps use it all the time and it never makes much sense. Actors act - if a show decides to take a character in a different direction the actor should, by definition, be able to act accordingly. If there is a chemistry problem between the actors and it is inhibiting the natural progression of the storyline, soaps should just say that. However in the case of this particular casting change, chemistry does not seem to have been the issue since Natalia and James Scott, at least from my perspective, had chemistry. So far I'm just not seeing that same spark since Tamara took over the role. Perhaps it's because this casting change was, as I said, so ill-timed, coming months after seeing Natalia's Taylor onscreen nearly everyday. Therefore maybe I just haven't given myself enough time to process this change. Typically though when two actors share a natural chemistry viewers notice it right away. In this case I didn't. Maybe DOOL should have kept Natalia in the role of Taylor and created a different role for Tamara because I don't think this casting decision is doing anyone any favors, least of all Tamara. Taking this part seems like as big a step back for her as it does for this storyline.

Comments

  1. Oh great Blogger just ate my comment which is always so much fun. I'm not sure who to blame Blogger or Herbie for acting up so much this week.

    This recasting was absolutely horrible. It was just strange because Natalia was only seen in a few episodes before I heard the news about the recasting. Sometimes they are great at recasting like with Eric as Brady and Lindsay as Ari and striking gold with Matt who was the third Jack but the third time wasn't the charm here or when Julie Pinson played Billie since I hated her in that role although I did like her on Port Charles.

    Tamara doesn't even have chemistry with James. Now I've hated his character from day one and hate him so much I have a death list for EJ but even I could see that he at least had chemistry with Natalia. I thought they were going the route of Taylor supposedly turning EJ into a human being even though I don't think that's possible. But now it looks like they are just going to turn Taylor into a bitch. This chick just isn't right for the role. I don't know what they were smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bard Girl!

    Thank you for commenting.I'm so sorry that blogger ate your first comment though. Be sure you're logged in before trying to comment, sometimes that causes a problem.

    I'm so glad you agree. I thought maybe it was just me. I really thought DOOL was going to use this Taylor/EJ pairing as a way to redeem EJ. I'm not even invested anymore though. There is no chemistry and we've lost all those months of history. Seems like such a waste.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Could Guiding Light Alum Stephanie Gatschet Be Looking to Return to Daytime?

I stumbled upon something interesting while scrolling through Instagram last night. It was a comment posted in response to a General Hospital video. The video was reposted by actress Laura Wright (Carly, GH; ex-Cassie,GL). The response came from actress Stephanie Gatschet.

You may recall that in addition to playing Madison North on All My Children, Gatschet played Cassie's daughter, Tammy, on Guiding Light.

Gatschet's comment to Wright was "I miss creating melodrama...keep an eye out for a good role for little ol' me. I wanna play!"  (Check out the screenshot below)



So could Gatschet be eyeing a return to daytime? How cool would it be to see her starring opposite Laura Wright again?

Gatschet most recently starred in the web series Misguided.

Carolyn Hennesy Appears in New Fitz and the Tantrums Music Video!

GH fave Carolyn Hennesy (Diane) has just added music video star to her resume! The actress appears in the video for the song "Fool" by pop group Fitz and the Tantrums. 
To learn more about Fitz and the Tantrums, visit their website at http://www.fitzandthetantrums.com
See the video for "Fool" starring Carolyn Hennesy below:





GL Alum Launches Indiegogo Campaign for Music Video!

UPDATE: Morgan Englund's Indiegogo campaign is now 76% funded. To meet his goal, $2,418 will need to be donated by June 2nd. 

To hear Morgan talk about his song Homeward Bound, be sure to check out my interview with him from last week at https://youtu.be/5Dyq4Tc7H-Y

Guiding Light alum Morgan Englund (Dylan Lewis) has launched an Indiegogo campaign to help fund a music video for a song he wrote called "Homeward Bound (A Firefighter's Song)", a fitting title and song for the actor who has worked as both a firefighter and paramedic. 

Englund is hoping to raise $10,000 for the creation of the video, which will be directed by Andrea Shreeman. So far $3,199 has been donated to the campaign with a month left to go. Numerous perks are up for grabs for those wishing to contribute to the video's funding. $5 will get you a thank you shout out on social media from Englund, while the biggest perk, at $1500, will earn you an executive producer credit and a VIP visit to the set. 


F…