Skip to main content

Out of the Shadows: GH

James Franco may not have known a lot about soap operas when he decided to take part in one, but judging from today's General Hospital it almost seems surprising that this is new territory for him. Granted, he was only in a few scenes, in fact one of them was replayed from yesterday's episode, but he seems to possess an understated mysteriousness that is so befitting of soaps. I believe this quality will be especially beneficial to him on a show like GH where the characters are so complex that most of the time it is difficult to tell the good guys from the bad guys. And while viewers still know very little about the character Franco, it appears, at least for now, that he is the latter.

Throughout today's ambush Franco watched nearby with a kind of childlike wonderment, as if he were getting some sort of satisfaction out of all the violence and longed to be a part of it. At one point he even appeared to be mimicking everyone's moves like he was studying some sort of artistic craft. And once the shoot-out ended, Franco stepped out of the shadows and waved to Jason's passing car in an obvious attempt to be seen by him. He then came across an injured Joey Limbo, where he literally became a part of the violence when he coldly crushed his windpipe with his shoe, then repositioned his body. And later on when Jason asked Spinelli to locate footage from security cameras in the area, Franco was seen waving to one of them.


James Franco scenes
[no copyright infringement intended]


At this point it is clear that Franco's fascination with violence doesn't end with his artwork. In fact this fascination appears to be more of an obsession, as indicated by his need to take part in violent situations. It would also seem that Franco wants to be noticed but not caught, operating in a phantom-like manner, yet hiding in plain sight. This is exemplified in his efforts to manipulate today's crime scene, then allowing himself to be seen by Jason and on camera. His upcoming art show depicting violence and crime, in addition to the picture he sent to Jason, also appear to be a part of this same type of manipulation. In fact one could argue that Franco's obsession with violence is based on a misguided attempt to be like Jason. Perhaps he has even been collecting those newspaper clippings of Jason's arrests in an effort to study his behavior. If this is true this would mean that his artwork is really nothing more than a twisted homage to Jason's lifestyle. Then again even this scenario seems too simplistic for this already complicated character. I feel it will be quite a while before much is known about the enigmatic Franco. And in the end more questions than answers may remain.

Previews
[no copyright infringement intended]

Comments

  1. Believe it or not I was on the computer for both the original airing during the day and then on Soapnet, so I missed the part when Franco crushed Joey's windpipe. I only saw the part where Franco repositioned Joey's body. Which also brings to mind was Claudia still alive (remember the shot of the hand) after Michael hit her? Perhaps Franco managed to go in and make the final blow, so to speak. This would almost be a classic soap opera twist, i.e. Michael did NOT actually kill Claudia. Boy, I'm really surmising here.

    I also found the scenes between Franco and presumably his girlfriend very intriguing. It appeared that she is manipulating him in some way.

    Well, this is a fascinating storyline. Call it Soap Opera Noir. The setup was excellent - elusive artist who hasn't been seen in years, et al. Next week will be a good one on GH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to rewind the episode at the end because, well, my stupid cat decided to jump in my lap when the mysterious woman (whose voice sounds suspciously like his agent) showed up and Franco still had that straight razor. Kind of reminded me of Sweeny Todd and Mrs. Lovett. Let's hope not, eh?

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paula!

    Wow! I can't believe you missed that part twice! lol! I was glued to the tv the whole hour. :) ABC plans to air that same episode on Thanksgiving Day and I am assuming that Soapnet will as well so if you want to watch it in its entirety you are in luck. :)

    I do remember the shot of Claudia's hand that you are referring to. If I remember correctly I don't think her hand ever moved during that shot. I think they just showed a close up of it. There has been a lot of speculation on here though that perhaps GH will modify that shot to show Claudia's fingers moving should they ever decide to bring her back. They could either write it like that as if Franco saved her life and got her out of the country (to go live with Uncle Rudy). Or if they decide later on that Claudia really did die, like for good, they could write it the way you suggested with Franco being the one who really killed her. I honestly think either one of those ideas would provide a lot of storyline and give Michael a reason to turn away from the violence.

    The scenes with Franco and his agent were intriguing. I'm not sure what to make of their relationship just yet. That scene was very bizarre, even the phone call when he told her he needed her was strange. It will be interesting to see how that subplot unfolds.

    Soap Opera Noir is a very good description for this storyline. I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peggy!

    You may have to quit watching GH when your pets are in the room. lol! Just kidding! :) Yes, I believe the woman at the end is the agent that called him a few days ago. Yeah, let's hope this isn't a Sweeney Todd kind of a thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting, ladies! Thought any more about what CO77X might stand for? I've been brainstorming about it since yesterday's episode. I even looked at the way Franco arranged Joey Limbo's body to see if it looked like one of the numbers or letters in that code.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CO77X. I have no idea what it means! I Googled it and saw some interesting theories, like maybe it's a telephone number. Well, I grew up in New York and I don't remember that from the days when phone numbers began with letters :))) I also read something about it's being some sort of police code. I was trying to wean myself off of GH (as I'm doing with OLTL) but seems like that's not going to happen anytime soon. This storyline is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paula!

    LOL! Yeah the phone number thing seems unlikely with all those letters, not to mention the fact that there are five digits which is odd for anything other than a partial phone number. lol! :) I have read some interesting theories too. I haven't had that "aha" moment yet where it seems like someone has stumbled on the exact right answer, but I have seen a lot of good guesses. It will probably end up being something really simple that no one has ever thought of. lol!

    Yeah I don't see myself being able to walk away from GH anytime soon. I have a friend who is a regular "Days" viewer and she can't tear herself away from it either. I can see why too because I have been trying to catch up on it and am totally hooked again even though it has been a while since I last watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Paula, Paula here :))

    I did some more Googling and reading and I think I have deciphered CO77X.

    I read that 77X refers to a type of camera. OK, so that explains the 77x. The CO, then, must refer to tada ...FranCO, therefore CO77X, Franco's camera.

    This dawned on mean when I saw the word FRANCO in Franco's office.

    Well, we'll find out for sure at some point ...

    Just had to share. Will watch today's episode on Soapnet tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paula!

    Very good! You may very well be right about that because Spinelli thought he figured out what type of camera was used to photograph "Claudia's body"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weird (of course) episode today. Leave it to Maxie to go traipsing off with Franco. Looking forward to your commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paula!

    Oh, I know! Maxie completely ignored her intuition. And strangely enough Jason didn't seem too worried about the fact that Franco led Maxie out of the room even after that wave.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Ways General Hospital Could Improve

I doubt if I'm alone in saying that there is a lot wrong with General Hospital these days. While it continues to be one of my favorite soaps there are many changes I would make immediately if I had the power. Below is a list of the top ten suggestions I have for the way the show could improve. 1. The Claire/Sonny storyline needs to be dropped. It isn't working. Their conversations are boring and the context of their relationship is, well...icky. 2. Amp up Lisa's craziness. Despite my earlier distaste for a Robin/Patrick/Lisa triangle, the obsessed ex-girlfriend angle is working. It's interesting and very soapy. 3. Ronnie needs to be established as either a cop with a chip on his shoulder or someone who works for Franco. So far I haven't been able to tell whether Ronnie falls more on the side of good or bad because this character hasn't been clearly defined. 4. Brenda's life away from Port Charles and the people that surround it need to become an int...

Crazy Loves Company: GH

If ever there was a storyline or a character over utilized it would be the saga of Lisa Niles. I am both mentally and physically exhausted by the constant back and forth between Lisa & Robin, Lisa & Patrick, Robin & Patrick, and Robin & everyone else. Now new doctor Terrell has been thrown into the mix as another man powerless against Lisa's charms. It is difficult enough at this point to watch Lisa create a path of destruction all by herself, but now that she has help I'm not sure I have the energy to watch any more of her schemes. Lisa had the potential to be an intriguing soap villain; and for a while it seemed like she may have had the potential to be a redeemable villain (see Miss Diagnosis ). However her crazy behavior as well as the motivation behind this behavior is too much to grasp, particularly for someone who supposedly passed her psych evaluation at Shady Brook. Moreover it doesn't make sense that she could talk someone like Terrell into helping...

Darkness and Light: GH

Like many General Hospital fans, I watch the show everyday in a blissful state of denial, never acknowledging the fact that Sonny and Jason are criminals. I find it easy to denounce Mac when he is urging Maxie to stay away from Spinelli, and I cheer for Diane whenever she keeps someone from the Corinthos organization from going to prison. However, as I watched the events of the week unfold, knowing that they were inevitably going to lead to Dante's shooting, my rose-colored glasses came off and I quickly snapped back to reality. I found myself repulsed watching Jason standing in the church during Josslyn's christening, knowing that he had just signed Dante's death certificate without giving it a second thought. I was even repulsed by Spinelli, whose detective work set everything into motion. Moreover, I was sickened by his cavalier attitude regarding Dante's imminent demise, and the fact that he never showed an ounce of remorse or regret until Maxie told him that Lulu h...